I love to eat, so of course I had to have at least one New Years Resolution relating to food. What I wanted to do this year was learn some new recipes and cook healthier, more nutritious meals.
E & I have been (pretty much) committed to the Michelle Bridges 12 Week Body Transformation challenge for six weeks now, and what I’m loving (besides the weight loss obviously) is the time I’ve spent learning new recipes and discovering a lot of interesting points about health.
For obvious reasons I can’t post Michelle’s recipes online (distributing copyright material only meant for my eyes etc) but this recipe available at Taste is quite like the 12WBT version I made, and is so good for you. Give it a whirl if you’re looking for a quick and easy substitute to takeout.
Thai Chicken Patties
150g purple Asian shallots
1/2 bunch Thai basil leaves
1/2 bunch mint leaves
2 tsp lime rind, grated
600g chicken mince
1 egg yolk
3 tbsp red curry paste
150g rice noodles
1/2 cup sweet chilli sauce
1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Finely chop half the shallots and set aside. Thinly slice the remaining shallots and reserve for serving. Coarsely chop half the basil and half the mint leaves and reserve the remainder.
2. Combine the chopped shallots, chopped mint and basil, lime rind, chicken, egg yolk and curry paste in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide mixture into 12 equal portions. Use wet hands to shape each portion into a ball. Place on an oven tray, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill.
3. Combine the chopped shallots, chopped mint and basil, lime rind, chicken, egg yolk and curry paste in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide mixture into 12 equal portions. Use wet hands to shape each portion into a ball. Place on an oven tray, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill.
4. Combine the sweet chilli sauce, lime juice and fish sauce in a bowl.
5. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add half the patties and cook, turning, for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to an oven tray. Repeat with remaining patties. Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes or until cooked through.
6. To serve, place some noodles on a lettuce leaf, top with a patty and some of the combined mint and basil leaves and sliced shallots. Drizzle with sweet chilli dressing and serve immediately.
Note: the photograph above is the of the 12WBT version I made myself x
One thing the challenge has taught me is to watch my portion sizes – do you really need two servings? How about saving the second for lunch tomorrow?
What is your favourite healthy recipe?