One minute you’re in, and the next you’re out. But we’re not talking about Project Runway here, it’s something a little more serious. Social media can be like a school playground; cruel and nasty.
At first things are going swimmingly. You’ve posted a new selfie or status you are quite proud of, then suddenly you are being trolled by anonymous faces for no real reason. It’s not fair. And with cases like Charlotte Dawson’s tragic death giving social media an even worse name, now is the time to do something about it.
When fellow Perth Blogger Adelle of Where The Styled Things Are approached a bunch of social media obsessed ladies to get involved in a new “play nice” campaign I was one of the first to put up my hand.
Introducing… Pretty Little Package. Basically the idea is to bring the nice back into social media – think year seven pen pals, making new friends and gift giving!
Sounds like fun, right? Here is what Adelle had to say about the project…
#prettylittlepackage is all about making people smile, a COMPLETE stranger! It’s about building friendships on social media, not enemies. It’s about going back to 1992 when we had pen pals. It’s just ONE small act of kindness to make someone’s day…
1. You sign up with Where the styled things are, just send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your FIRST name, address and your social media handle (IG/Twitter works best with this hashtag) by April 16th. This means you are well on your way to an act of kindness, AND receiving one too (unless you state otherwise)!
2. We get back to you by April 30th with a random person’s name. This will include their FIRST name, 1 social media handle and address.
3. At the same time, someone will be receiving your details to send you something lovely too. (unless otherwise stated)
4. Then, you send this person something pretty in a little package in the next 10 days. What do you send? Whatever you like! Maybe a book that made YOU smile, a box full of things to make a DIY out of, a card with a lovely message, something that you have made, a beautiful box of paints and paper – it doesn’t matter what it is, you don’t even need to spend money, it just has to have the potential to make your random smile! (Please do not send food stuffs due to allergies etc.)
5. When you receive your gift, be sure to thank your new friend by tagging them on Instagram with a photo and the hashtag #prettylittlepackage I’d also love to see the progress so please tag @wherethestyledthingsare as well.
So, who wants to get involved? There is nothing better than making someone smile. And perhaps I’ll get to send you a pretty little package…
For more info head over to Adelle’s wonderful little spot on the Internet.