I don’t know about you, but I used to struggle to get out of bed in the morning. I’d whinge, moan, shuffle around like a zombie and head into work feeling like the world was going to fall on my head. Negative much! But I soon realised if you start your day happy the rest will fall into place and it’ll make the day (and your life) easier for you, and those around you. No one likes a “negative nelly” and why be grumpy when you can be happy! Starting the day in a positive manner isn’t hard, it’s just about finding ways to get focused and banish those bad habits. I’ve compiled a list of ten things to try and incorporate into your morning routine that’ll have you smiling as you wake in no time!
1. Change your alarm to your favourite song. Alarm tones are so annoying and can instantly dull your mood so choose a song you enjoy and you’ll be happy to wake up to it. I prefer a chilled track as opposed to something you’d hear in a club, but it’s up to you!
2. Before anything else (and I mean coffee), drink a large glass of cold water when you wake up. It’ll get your body moving again and rehydrate you as you’ve not had any water for hours! Or if you’re fancy (or have time) fresh lemon squeezed into your water is ever better. Nourish your bod, it’ll thank you in the long run.
3. Lay out your outfit for the next day the night before. Then you will actually have time to wake up in the morning and everything is already organised for you, so you won’t be rushing around trying to find something to wear. Plus it is easier to put an outfit together with a clear mind and you won’t just grab any old thing. I know people who pre-plan their entire week of work outfits in one go, and they always look so well put together and on point!
4. Positive affirmations are for everyone! I know people who swear by sticking positive quotes on their bathroom mirror for the early morning blues. This isn’t something I’ve tried yet but I can’t see the harm in feeling inspired as soon as you look in the mirror!
5. Make your lunch the night before. There is nothing worse than stressing about what food you’ll bring to work that day, especially if you’re dieting or trying to eat a certain way. I love pre-making my lunch because I can just grab it from the fridge and go. If you don’t have time to make it in the morning, guarantee you’ll purchase something not so healthy! Plus buying lunch every day is so expensive! Leftovers are a great option so double up on your dinner recipes and save the rest for lunch the next day!
6. Sleep app’s are a great way to monitor your sleeping pattern and wake up when your body is at it’s most awake. There is nothing worse than being in a deep sleep and hearing the alarm go off so download an app like Sleep Cycle and set your alarm to go off around a certain time and it’ll wake you when you’re at your lightest. Plus you can track your sleeping patterns and quality of sleep. Pretty cool!
7. Crank your favourite tunes whilst showering! Music always puts me in a good mood and I love playing a few songs to get me pumped up in the morning.
8. Coffee is always a positive and happiness bringer in my life. I like to set my alarm a little earlier than I need so I can enjoy a cup of coffee outside in the sunshine before the daily grind begins. Those few minutes of me time is always appreciated as I know I’m in for a day of socialising and customer service at work. Find something for you.
9. Leave ten minutes earlier than you need to get to work so you’re not stressing out about the traffic on the way in. I don’t know how many times I’ve misjudged my timing and freaked out on my way to the office. Road rage doesn’t help if you’re trying to stay positive! And if you get to work a little earlier, then you have time to go and grab a coffee or check in with social media before you start your shift.
10. If all else fails put on a smile. Smiles are contagious and in no time you’ll be feeling super. Positive mind, positive vibes.
So there we have it. Ten ways to wake up happier. If you’re a morning zombie like me, maybe you can try and incorporate a few of these tips into your schedule and sooner or later I promise you’ll wake up with a more positive outlook on early mornings. I’d love to hear how you make mornings easier, so leave me a comment with your tips.
Do you struggle to get out of bed in the morning? What are your tips to wake up happier?