If you don’t follow my Instagram you probably wouldn’t know I’ve been photographing my daily outfits. Nearly every single day! Why? Because one of my favourite bloggers Nikki at Styling You started a very cool challenge a few years back and I’ve decided to take part this year. It’s been hard some days, but totally worth it. Over a month and a half into my #everdaystyle personal style challenge with Styling You and guess what friends? I’ve only missed one day of styling! I was really unwell and spent most of that day on the couch so that is why you didn’t see my dodgy pajamas, but if I was well enough to actually get up you may have been privy to them! Haha! They were worth missing! I’m loving the challenge. It has made me realise what I do and do not wear and has given me a bit of a look at my own personal style. I’ve noticed I tend to wear a lot of neutrals to the office, but come the weekend the brighter the better! I wanted to share a few of your favourite January looks I’ve shared over on Instagram, and a few of my own favourites too!
Stripes certainly have a place in my play time! I’ve noticed I wear a lot stripes on the weekends, whether it be in dress or tee form. The bright, fun prints I probably couldn’t wear to work also get a work out. These were your favourite “play” outfits for January!
1. I took a bit of a personal risk print clashing a new HM floral skirt with a striped Miss Shop tee, but I was actually very happy with this combo. Somehow the two were made for each other! I think it was because the shade of blue in the stripes matched the blue in the skirt, which is a rule of print clashing. I added a pair of oversized nude sunglasses I picked up in Cambodia to complete the look, and took it out to brunch with my girls in Inglewood.
2. More stripes! This Kmart skirt dress was a steal at around $15 and it is so light weight it’s been perfect for the Perth heat we’ve been experiencing. It speaks for itself really. This is one dress I’ll be taking overseas to Singapore because the cotton fabric will be perfect for the humidity. I love a Kmart bargain!
3. Stripes and denim this time! Casual and easy, this is one of my go to outfits. Denim is classic and you can’t really go wrong! I picked up this tee at Cotton On and I’ve lived in for the last year. The material is so soft and breezy. This skirt is actually from Coles’ fashion range Mix Apparel, and it although it is a little big around my waist I just can’t part with it!
4. Another Kmart striped bargain, I actually purchased two of these t-shirt dresses when I saw them on the rack. They are just so simple to throw on and go on your way, and will be super cute in Winter with tights and boots.
5. Polka dots! My first #everydaystyle snap of the year, and I was off to dinner with E. This polka dot skirt was a Big W find and I love the flippy style and femininity. I paired it with a Dotti tee and necklace from House Of Poly. Simple but easy for a casual night out at a restaurant. You need at least one white tee in your wardrobe, they go with everything!
6. Bright, vintage prints discovered at my latest op shopping session! When I saw this dress on the rack I couldn’t not take it home with me. The fabric is a little bit worn but paired with a slip to hide my underwear it really works. I love the vibrancy.
7. Another vibrant print, this Lucciola maxi is the perfect Summer frock. I wore it to my nieces first birthday at the beach, and it was light and airy. That’s another thing about #everydaystyle – it’s nice to remember what you did on certain days! For more on this dress and where you can find it check out my blog post.
8. Floral! My second favourite print after stripes. This Princess Highway dress from Dangerfield has been in my cupboard for years but I just love it. The quality of the fabric Dangerfield use means their products will survive the wear and tear of life. I love the colours of this dress, and wear it all the time. Nothing screams lady like floral!
As I mentioned earlier in the post I’ve noticed I really do keep it quite neutral for work. I probably could brighten up my days with some more prints but I guess I feel “professional” in black, white and navy tones. The outfits are still me though as you’ll noticed I do wear prints to work too, haha! These were your favourite “work” looks for January.
1. The wrap dress, a classic feminine favourite. Everyone should own at least one wrap dress as they are perfect for most occasions. I picked up this Kmart wrap dress a few weeks back and it has become a fast favourite for work. It is light, works with my curves and I really liked the polka dot print. Plus it was only $18! If you’re a fan it may still be in your local Kmart store, get in quick.
2. I was surprised how much attention this work top got on Instagram because I wasn’t so sure about it. I’m a girly girl but I don’t actually wear a lot of pink! This graphic print top was another Kmart find (most of my work stuff is from Kmart), and I paired it with a simple black work skirt from Target. I might have to keep this top since you guys liked it so much!
3. I love peplum for work, especially if it’s striped! I picked up this one at Dotti (on sale of course), and added a simple waist belt to class it up a bit. Paired with Target work slacks this is a very simple way to look professional. Black and white is totally the ultimate combo!
4. Another peplum, this time from HM. You can’t really see it in the photo, but this top has a very subtle graphic print on it which I just loved. Paired with a Target work skirt (the best place for well priced work bottoms), I added a pop of bright red lipstick to bring the outfit together. I like this one a lot! I need more peplums, as they’re great for hiding bloat and look cute!
5. Vintage skirt alert! This gorgeous red skirt was part of a two piece suit I found at my local op shop. The top was pretty hideous, but the skirt was very on trend! I love op shopping. The skirt speaks for itself so I paired it with a high neck black top from Kmart and some statement flats. Remember that fashion moves in waves and you can find total scores when thrifting that totally suit the current trends!
6. Even more stripes! This Kmart top is ancient and probably ready for the bin as it’s starting to look a bit fluffy, but I love the sailor vibe and looks great with a simple pair of black trousers. I look very tired in this picture, haha!
7. Polka dots, again! Probably my third favourite print! This Target dress was another op shop find, and I fell in love with it as soon as it spotted it. It’s a midi length and perfect for work. I love the ruffled details and it’s one of those dresses you can throw on and just feel great instantly. Everyone needs one of those dresses!
8. My sister actually gave me this Caroline Morgan dress when she was ready to part with it and I just love the tie dye print and colour scheme. It’s so feminine and dreamy. I wore this to work on another super hot day, and the thick fabric and high neckline makes it work appropriate! Thanks L!
Challenging myself to photograph what I wear has also helped with my ongoing wardrobe organisation and impending cull! If you’re looking for an easy way to rid your wardrobe of those things you never wear check out my blog post here, and for more #everydaystyle pop over to my Instagram.
What is your go to every day look?